Quality Control : Puppet

Quality Control is an ongoing series of blog posts where I am moved in rare circumstances to document what is wrong with software or anything else I find significantly rough. The posts are meant to be constructive, and I hope others can see through the likely presence of frustration in my tone to get there.

facter-1.5.8:beijing> ruby install.rb --destdir=/net/silmaril/export/puppet
...
facter-1.5.8:beijing>

Good.

puppet-2.6.4:beijing> more README
Documentation (and detailed install instructions) can be found
online at http://docs.puppetlabs.com/.

Additional documentation can also be found at the Puppet Wiki:

http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/puppet/wiki/

Generally, you need the following things installed:

* Ruby >= 1.8.1 (earlier releases might work but probably not)

* The Ruby OpenSSL library.  For some reason, this often isn't included
  in the main ruby distributions.  You can test for it by running
  'ruby -ropenssl -e "puts :yep"'.  If that errors out, you're missing the
  library.

  If your distribution doesn't come with the necessary library (e.g., on Debian
  and Ubuntu you need to install libopenssl-ruby), then you'll probably have to
  compile Ruby yourself, since it's part of the standard library and not
  available separately.  You could probably just compile and install that one
  library, though.

* The Ruby XMLRPC client and server libraries.  For some reason, this often
  isn't included in the main ruby distributions.  You can test for it by
  running 'ruby -rxmlrpc/client -e "puts :yep"'.  If that errors out, you're
  missing the library.

* Facter => 1.5.1
  You can get this from < http://puppetlabs.com/projects/facter >

Maybe there’s a good reason, but why are you telling me all of these minimum requirements instead of just checking for it in the build/install process?

puppet-2.6.4:beijing> ruby install.rb --destdir=/net/silmaril/export/puppet
which: no ronn in (/usr/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/net/silmaril/export/puppet/usr/bin)
Could not load facter; cannot install
puppet-2.6.4:beijing>

WTF is ‘ronn’? This is a fully loaded RHEL 5.5 box I am on.

puppet-2.6.4:beijing> ruby install.rb --help
which: no ronn in (/usr/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/net/silmaril/export/puppet/usr/bin)
Could not load facter; cannot install
puppet-2.6.4:beijing>

Awesome!

puppet-2.6.4:beijing> ruby install.rb --fdgfsdgfds
which: no ronn in (/usr/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/net/silmaril/export/puppet/usr/bin)
install: invalid option: --fdgfsdgfds
install.rb:92:in `mkdir': Permission denied - /etc/puppet (Errno::EACCES)
        from install.rb:92:in `do_configs'
        from install.rb:492
puppet-2.6.4:beijing>

So you got an invalid argument, and continued to try to mkdir? That doesn’t seem smart.

I guess I’ll look at the source for install.rb in order to find the ronn reference?

# install.rb
# ...
begin
  if $haverdoc
    ronn = %x{which ronn}
    $haveman = true
  else
    $haveman = false
  end
rescue
  puts "Missing ronn; skipping man page creation"
  $haveman = false
end
# ...

So much for displaying that error message. Why wouldn’t you also display that along with ‘$haveman = false’ after the else clause?

Whatever, let’s just try to address the fact that Facter is not found. I’m not chasing the ronn rabbit down a hole, even though it’s not clear to me if I need it or not or what the hell it is.

puppet-2.6.4:beijing> find /net/silmaril/export/puppet/usr -name fac\*
/net/silmaril/export/puppet/usr/bin/facter
/net/silmaril/export/puppet/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/facter.rb
/net/silmaril/export/puppet/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/facter
/net/silmaril/export/puppet/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/facter/facterversion.rb
/net/silmaril/export/puppet/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/facter/util/fact.rb
puppet-2.6.4:beijing>

Apparently /net/silmaril/export/puppet/usr/bin being in my PATH does not mean anything to the Ruby library search logic. This obviously isn’t Puppet’s fault.

Digging around, I find that I can set RUBYLIB for non-standard places holding Ruby libraries/modules.

export RUBYLIB=/net/silmaril/export/puppet/usr/lib
    ruby install.rb --destdir=/net/silmaril/export/puppet = FAIL
export RUBYLIB=/net/silmaril/export/puppet/usr/lib/ruby
    ruby install.rb --destdir=/net/silmaril/export/puppet = FAIL
export RUBYLIB=/net/silmaril/export/puppet/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby
    ruby install.rb --destdir=/net/silmaril/export/puppet = FAIL
export RUBYLIB=/net/silmaril/export/puppet/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
SUCCESS

And apparently search for Ruby libraries only works at some unknown-to-me level of directory traversal. This, too, obviously isn’t Puppet’s fault.

So far, this is a pantload of fun.

Filed under Musings, Products, Quality Control, Sysadmin

Comments are closed.